Sunday 3 August 2014

Weston and the War





It was whilst I was checking out toilet facilities at Clarence Park a couple of weeks ago that I saw the beautiful flower display.  The poppies fluttered in the breeze and reminded me of our lads who had given their lives during World War 1.  This month sees the centenary of the start of the War and remembrance services and exhibitions abound.  It seems flippant to talk about the trivial matter of toilets today so forgive me if I leave a write-up of Clarence Park for another post. This will be my small contribution to the centenary war effort.




In August 1914 the young men of Weston enlisted for military service with the North Somerset Yeomanry.  Amongst these were Albert Edward Pool and Bert Mayled.



Albert was Chief Clerk for the firm of Porter & Bowerman, auctioneers and land agents and also the Asst.  Hon. Secretary of the Weston & Banwell Horse & Agricultural Association.  He was 27 years of age the son of William Hawes and Annie Pool of 6 Oriel Terrace.



Bert was the younger son of Mr. & Mrs. Benjamin Mayled of Milton Road.  He was 25 and had married Catherine Swearse a couple of months earlier.  These were exciting times for a baby was on the way but it did not stop Bert from enlisting.



The regiment was first stationed in Bath before moving to Sussex as part of the 1st. South Western Mounted Brigade.  At the beginning of November the regiment found themselves in France with the 6th. Cavalry Brigade and within days they were in the thick of the fighting at Ypres.   



Corporal Pool was wounded but managed to write the following letter home whilst he was waiting for an operation:



"I expect to be operated on this afternoon to have shell fragments removed.  I was hit at 2.30 and lay in the trenches until 8.30 the same night on wet sodden ground – bleeding.  But here we are again.  In my trench there was my pal on the right.  He was shot through the head.  Then Dick Wilson on my left, he was yelling “Come on, my bonny lads - my Somerset boys” and the next moment he was shot through the forehead, dead.  There were only “Mac” Shepherd and Sergeant Smith left with me.



Lionel Brown and seven others found me in the trenches eventually and carried me on eight rifles about three quarters of a mile, black as night, awful road, and shells all over the place.  It was one continual fall of “Jack Johnsons” and shrapnel shells all the time.



Goodbye.  Don’t worry about me.  I am in good hands and perhaps will be sent home of which I shall be glad.  Remember me to all and write and send me some cigarettes, please”.



Corporal Pool died shortly after his operation.



Trooper Mayled was also seriously injured at Ypres however he was sent back to the Manchester Hospital.  His family were informed by telegram but before they could leave on the journey north another wire arrived with the news that he had passed away.



On Monday 30th. November a special memorial service was held at the parish church in Weston for the men of the North Somerset Yeomanry who had been killed in action at Ypres on November 17th.  The ceremony was particularly poignant in that it was also the funeral of Bert Mayled.  The whole town went into mourning and businesses closed for the 3 hours of the service.  Bert’s coffin was conveyed to the church on a gun carriage followed by a company of the North Somerset Yeomanry stationed in Bath, members of the Fire Brigade, troops of Boy Scouts and invalided Belgian soldiers from the Sanatorium.  Moggs Military Band headed the procession playing the Dead March from Saul.



The church was crowded with parents and relatives of those who had fallen at the front.  Most would not return home for burial.  Corporal Albert Edward Poole was buried in St. Sever Cemetery in Rouen.



Bert was laid to rest in the Milton Road Cemetery – I photographed his headstone just a few days ago:


We will remember them




2 comments:

  1. Hi - interesting article. Could you tell me the source for the quoted letter about Pool? Thanks
    Tim

    ReplyDelete
  2. The source is the Dundee Evening Telegraph dated 8th. December 1914. Hope this is of help.

    ReplyDelete