Thursday 15 June 2017

Burning the calories between Brean and Burnham


Today's walk starts off at Brean Village Hall where I find a footpath running up from behind the bus shelter & public conveniences. The going is difficult slipping and sliding on the soft sand but I make it to the top and am greeted with the sight of the beautiful beach.


It's really blustery today so my sunhat has to be tucked away in my bag.  The goal today is to walk the 6-7 miles from Brean to Burnham-on-Sea.  This part of the Coastal Path is all along the beach and is the second longest stretch of sand in Europe. How wonderful seeing it stretched out before me.  Nothing but sand and sea with a brilliant blue sky above.


As with yesterday it is not long before I spot those monsters of the deep.  Huge, huge jelly fish beached on the sand.  Honestly, the beach is virtually littered with the creatures.   My mind goes back to childhood and the TV series of Quatermass!


A couple of miles further on & I meet a horse and rider.  Forget about the view.  Forget about the waves pounding on the beach.  Forget about everything except the Smartphone.  What a world it is that we live in!!


The waves certainly show how blustery it is today - churning up the soft sand and turning the sea a muddy brown. 



Good job I purchased a take away coffee in Costa before boarding the bus in Weston because there are no coffee shops here.  Oh but wait a moment - what is that ahead?  It's certainly no match for Costa Coffee or Starbucks but I suppose it would do if you were desperate.



As I glance across the bay I can make out the hazy shape of Hinkley Point C - the new nuclear power station.  Such a blot on the landscape.  Those of us who live on the north coast of Somerset wouldn't stand a chance if that suffered a melt down. I wonder whether I would need to revert to teachings from the 1960s when those of us working in London were told that in the event of a nuclear attack we should shelter under a tin bath in some large open space!!!!  Honestly, I kid you not.


Today all I have to shelter under is my hoody!


As I walk I am mesmerised by the light sparkling on the wet sand.


So much so that before I know it I find I am in deep s**t.  Without realising I have walked into a trough of very wet sand and it is quickly oozing up over my shoes.  Cripes, the last thing I need is to get stuck in sinking sand!  I manage to squirm my way to safety but my shoes tell all!


The scenery is really magical but from now on I MUST concentrate on where I am and where I am going.  No more getting lost in my own little world.


After one and a half hours I spot Burnham in the distance.  

 

The first sign of getting back to civilisation is when I pass the old Lighthouse on stilts.  This was built way back in 1832 but still stands firm against the winds.





 Having reached Burnham-on-Sea it is now time for me to leave the beach.


And head off along the Prom towards Britain's shortest pier.  I know that a few yards further down the Esplanade can be found Burnham's public toilets.   These are free, unlike those in Weston-super-Mare.


The No. 20 bus stop is at the top of Pier Street and after my two hour walk I am more than ready to flop onto the bus.  How lucky I am to have a walk such as this just a bus ride away from home.  I shall do this walk again - after the influx of holiday makers have left!


No comments:

Post a Comment