Sunday 20 July 2014

Weston-super-Mare - A day at the seaside






The summer weather is here so let’s have a day at the seaside.

I was born & raised in the suburbs of London but Dad’s family came from the village of Horsington in mid-Somerset.  My first visit to the county would have been in the 1950s.  Dad had just bought a secondhand 1940s Humber car and we travelled down to stay with Gran.  She lived in The Lodge at the end of Church Lane, Horsington – a charming property dating back to 1885.   



During our week’s stay we had a daytrip to the seaside – to Weston-super-Mare.

We parked on the front and Dad had a doze in the car whilst Mum introduced me to the beach, to the sea and to the donkeys.  A vivid memory which stayed all through my life is how very far the sea went out ! 




I loved the donkey ride and had fun making sand castles on the beach. 







Marine Parade was well provided with places to Spend a Penny – and in those days a penny IS all it would have cost to use the facilities. 


It was to be 60 years before I visited Weston again.

A lifetime rolled away and, with the rise in inner-city violence, a move from London became a necessity.  After months of searching the internet for a suitable place to call home Weston suddenly reappeared to me.  A few nights B&B were booked at Camellia Lodge in Walliscote Road and before I knew it I was speeding my way to Weston on the train.

It was February 2012 and snow had been falling in London when I left.  No snow in Somerset but it was very cold.  On the first morning as I walked along the Prom there was ice on the beach.  Not that it bothered me – I was just overjoyed to be here.  I figured that if I liked the area in mid-winter then I would be more than happy to make it my home.  Well - what is there not to like?  Within 4 months I was living in Somerset and have no regrets at the move.


The public conveniences along Marine Parade have recently been taken over by Healthmatic and it now costs 20p to Spend a Penny – but what is 20p when one needs to go.  For those who are not lovers of the new fangled electrically operated doors I would recommend the Atlantic Block where your 20p can just be dropped into a slot at the turnstile.  The doors to the cubicles have the traditional sturdy bolt so little fear of getting locked in.   



The facilities at the south end of the beach at Quantock Road are again operated by Healthmatic but here the main door is electrically operated and if there should be a malfunction then you would need your mobile phone in order to call the 24 hour helpline – always supposing a telephone signal is available within the walls.  The refurbished toilet blocks  are clean and usable but the signs always make me chuckle.  How tall would you have to be to even contemplate washing your feet in these new fangled sinks/soapers/driers?  And would anyone really try to wash a child in one?  Well perhaps they would !



No comments:

Post a Comment