Thursday 24 July 2014

Weston-super-Mare Museum - the past in the present




Shortly after starting this blog I was asked whether I had tried the loos in the Museum as they were reported as being rather nice.  To my shame I have to admit that although I have lived in Weston for 2 years it was a place not yet visited.  A situation which had to be rectified.

This afternoon seemed as good a time as any – and what a very pleasant time was had.  There is an entrance charge for the museum itself but free entry is provided to the Palm Court Café and current exhibition gallery.  How lovely it was to be transported back to the seaside of my childhood – old turnstiles to bathing facilities and best of all “Jolly Jack Tar” who would make me laugh till the tears ran down my cheeks.



Clara’s Cottage was fitted out as a home of the 1900s and I was delighted to spot the chamber pot peeking out from under the bed quilt.  


There was far too much of interest to take in on just one visit so I do promise to return in the very near future.   

I can highly recommend the Palm Court Café – an oasis of calm in the heart of this bustling seaside town.   



And the toilet facilities are probably the best I have found in recent weeks.  Very clean and modern but with a feel of Victorian times.


 How lucky are we to have this museum.

No comments:

Post a Comment